• Job Interview Techniques


    FREE INFORMATION ABOUT A JOB INTERVIEW

    WE BEGIN IN THE QUESTION OF


    Why do you want this job?

    Think carefully about this question. Stress the positive aspects which have attracted you to applying for this position. Do not mention the negative aspects of your current job or the job in question.

    What qualities do you think will be required for this job?

    Their advertisement for the job may help you a little bit, but you should also think of the other qualities that may be required. These may include leadership ability, supervisory skills, communication skills, interpersonal skills, problem solving, analytical skills, etc.

    What can you contribute?

    This is your chance to shine. Tell them about your achievements in your previous position(s) which are relevant to the new position you are applying for.

    Why do you want to work for this company?

    Emphasize the positive reasons why you want to join their company, but avoid aspects such as more money or shorter hours. These would not endear you to a prospective employer.

    What do you know about this company?

    This is your chance to impress the interviewer with your knowledge of their company. Give them a run down of their products/services, sales figures, news, company figures, customers, etc.

    What interests you abo

    ut our product (or service)?

    Again, your research into the company should aid you in answering this question.
    What can we (the new company) offer that your previous company cannot offer?

    Tread carefully here! Again do not mention money. Stress opportunities for personal growth, new challenges, etc.

    * Do you consider yourself to be a natural leader? The interviewer will be interested in your ability to lead when necessary

    * Tell me about yourself. This is an open question, and is a good opportunity for you to reveal the strengths that you mentioned in your personal profile. This is also your chance to reveal your personality, so just be yourself.

    What are your biggest accomplishments? This should be job related, and is a chance to show your competency

    * Where do you see yourself in five years ti

    me?

    * How do you handle tension/stress? Explain how you avoid stressful situations, and if not how you deal with it, for example: exercising and going to the gym.

    * How do you take direction? Show by giving examples of how you can be briefed and finish the task without unnecessary disagreements/complications

    * Do you prefer working with others or alone? Explain how you can work well in both situations.

    * How do you handle rejection? Much of today's bussiness is commercially orientated, therefore a good answer would tend to be that you move on but take on board what has happened and use it to benefit you in the future.

    Points you need to remember:

    * Smiling is a good positive signal, as it reaffirms your good nature
    * Maintain eye contact
    * Relax do not rush or fidget
    * Mirror the interviewers techniques, if they laugh, laugh with them
    * Maintain an alert position, sit up straight, don't slump, but be comfortable

    Always have a confident and honest attitude.

    Do's And Don'ts During The Interview

    * Always adopt a professional and business-like manner
    * Listen intently
    * Use strong positive language
    * Ask the relevant questions
    * Wear a smile at all times
    * Never indicate that you're desperate for a job
    * Don't get into discussions about your personal life, and decline any bait to mention secrets of your present employer, the interviewer should respect your trustworthiness and integrity
    * Ensure that you don't smell of any strong odours, e.g. alcohol, garlic or even perfume
    * Don't fidget or play with your hair, clothing, items in your pockets etc
    * Avoid negative phrases such as: 'I don't know'. I'm not sure'
    * Be persuasive, speak in terms of what benefit you can bring to the company, rather

    than the other way around

    * Remain calm and don't rush your answers

    Sample answers to the interview question "Why did you leave your job?

    * I found myself bored with the work and looking for more challenges. I am an excellent employee and I didn't want my unhappiness to have any impact onthe job I was doing for my employer.
    * There isn't room for growth with my current employer and I'm ready to move on to a new challenge.
    * I'm looking for a bigger challenge and to grow my career and I couldn't job hunt part time while working. It didn't seem ethical to use my former employer's time.
    * I was laid-off from my last position when our department was eliminated due to corporate restructuring.
    * I'm relocating to this area due to family circumstances and left my previous position in order to make the move.
    * I've decided that is not the direction I want to go in my career and my current employer has no opportunities in the direction I'd like to head.
    * After several years in my last position, I'm looking for an company where I can contribute and grow in a team-oriented environment.
    * I am interested in a new challenge and an opportunity to use my technical skills and experience in a different capacity than I have in the past.
    * I recently received my degree and I want to utilize my educational background in my next position.
    * I am interested in a job with more responsibility, and I am very ready for a new challenge.
    * I left my last position in order to spend more time with my family. Circumstances have changed and I'm more than ready for full-time employment again.
    * I am seeking a position with a stable company with room for growth and opportunity for advancement.
    * I was commuting to the city and spending a significant amount of time each day on travel. I would prefer to be closer to home.
    * To be honest, I wasn't considering a move, but, I saw this job posting and was intrigued by the position and the company. It sounds like an exciting opportunity and an ideal match with my qualifications.
    * This position seemed like an excellent match for my skills and experience and I am not able to fully utilize them in my present job.
    * The company was cutting back and, unfortunately, my job was one of those eliminated.

    typical interview question, asked to get a sense of how you handle on-the-job stress, is "How do you handle pressure?" Examples of good responses include:

    * Stress is very important to me. With stress, I do the best possible job. The appropriate way to deal with stress is to make sure I have the correct balance between good stress and bad stress. I need good stress to stay motivated and productive.
    * I react to situations, rather than to stress. That way, the situation is handled and doesn't become stressful.
    * I actually work better under pressure and I've found that I enjoy working in a challenging environment.
    * From a personal perspective, I manage stress by visiting the gym every evening. It's a great stress reducer.
    * Prioritizing my responsibilities so I have a clear idea of what needs to be done when, has helped me effectively manage pressure onthe job.
    *
    *
    * What motivates you?
    *
    * If the people I am managing are contributing to my stress level, I discuss options for better handling difficult situations with them.

    * I was responsible for several projects where I directed development teams and implemented repeatable processes. The teams achieved 100% on-time delivery of software products. I was motivated both by the challenge of finishing the projects ahead of schedule and by managing the teams that achieved our goals.
    * I've always been motivated by the desire to do a good job at whatever position I'm in. I want to excel and to be successful in my job, both for my own personal satisfaction and for my employer.
    * I have always wanted to ensure that my company's clients get the best customer service I can provide. I've always felt that it's important, both to me personally, and for the company and the clients, to provide a positive customer experience.
    * I have spent my career in sales, typically in commission-based positions, and compensation has always been a strong factor in motivating me to be the top salesperson at my prior employers.

    Tell me about yourself
    Be Prepared
    When you walk into an interview, remember to always expect the "tell me about yourself" question. Prepare ahead of time by developing your own personal branding statement that clearly tells who you are, your major strength and the clear benefit that your employer received. The advantages of this approach are that you'll quickly gain their attention and interest them in knowing more. You'll separate yourself from your

    competitors. You'll also have a higher chance of being positively remembered and hired.
    If the people who know you were asked why you should be hired, what would they say?"
    I'm sure if you asked my friends that question they would say you should hire me because I have the skills outlined in the job description and I bring 10+ years of expertise to this position. Words they've used to describe me are: hard working, professional, trusted and a team player.
    How do you balance life and work?
    The interviewer wonders if you've made arrangements for the days when your child is too sick to go to school and/or daycare or if you're "out of there" as soon as it's quitting time.
    Best Answer: Being organized helps me balance my professional life and personal life. Consequently, I can be fully engaged while I'm at work. For those unexpected times, I have a good back-up system of child care for my children.
    What did you do during this six month gap in employment?
    Everyone, at some point, will probably have a gap in employment. Do not "waste it".
    Best Answer: For the first month, I worked on my "to do list" at home and accomplished a great deal. Then I began building a plan to reenter the workplace. While it took a little longer than I'd anticipated, I've learned a great deal about myself, am rested and looking forward to new challenges in the workplace.
    Are you overqualified for this job?"
    Overqualified? Some would say that I'm not overqualified but fully qualified.

    * I'm here because this is a company on the move and I want to move up with you. With more than the minimal experience to just skim by, I offer immediate returns on your investment. Don't you want a winner with the skill sets and attitudes to do just that?

    Interview Questions NOT to Ask ~

    * What does this company do? (Do your research ahead of time!)
    * If I get the job when can I take time off for vacation? (Wait until you get the offer to mention prior commitments)
    * Can I change my schedule if I get the job? (If you need to figure out the logistics of getting to work don't mention it now...)
    * Did I get the job? (Don't be impatient. They'll let you know.)

    What will you do if you don't get this position?

    I am committed to this company and its advancement so, should I not be selected, I will work with and support whoever might get selected. However, I do feel that my experience in the department and with the team would make me the best candidate.
    Can you tell me about yourself?
    This is the most hated and most common question in interview history. Typically asked at the beginning of the job interview, this question gives the interviewer an opportunity to gain knowledge about you and your capabilities.

    When you answer, offer a summary of your personality, skills, experience, and work history. Do not mention your knitting hobby or your pet iguana. Try to stick with facts that will demonstrate why you are the person for the job.
    Be enthusiastic and confident when responding to questions. Don't rush your answers, but don't ramble on and on, either. Try to, um, avoid, like, using unnecessary words, right? And um, repeating yourself or, like, annoying phrases, you know?
    I am always eager to learn new methods and procedures, and have implemented continuous improvement techniques in my past positions that saved money and increased productivity. I like working with people and enjoy group projects, but am also a self-starter who doesn't mind working on my own.
    "What is your greatest strength?"
    This is a great chance to highlight your best skills. Don't pick just one, focus on your top three or four. Some examples are: leadership skills, team-building skills, and organizational skills. Determine which strengths would fit best with the position for which you are applying. For example, if the job announcement stresses the ability to handle multiple tasks, you could say: "I'm good at organizational skills, prioritization and time management. But my greatest strength is my ability to effectively handle multiple projects and deadlines."
    "What is your greatest weakness?"
    Be careful with this one. Most interview guides will tell you to answer it with a positive trait disguised as a weakness. For example, "I tend to expect others to work as hard as I do," or "I'm a bit of a perfectionist." Interviewers have heard these "canned" answers over and over again. To stand out, be more original and state a true weakness, but then emphasize what you've done to overcome it. For example: "I've had trouble delegating duties to others because I felt I could do things better myself. This has sometimes backfired because I'd end up with more than I could handle and the quality of my work would suffer. But I've taken courses in time management and learned effective delegation techniques, and I feel I've overcome this weakness."
    "Why are you the best person for this job?"
    As with all other questions, be confident and enthusiastic when you answer this. Don't try to say you are the best qualified person, because you don't know the qualifications of the other applicants. Instead, emphasize several reasons why you should be hired. For example: "I've got extensive experience in [name the appropriate field] and have the specific skills you are looking for. I'm a fast learner who adapts quickly to change and will hit the ground running. I'm dedicated and enthusiastic about helping your company meet its goals, and will provide top-quality results with minimal oversite. I'm an outstanding performer who takes pride in my work. You won't have any regrets when you hire me."
    QUESTIONS YOU SHOULD ASK
    Often the interviewer's last question is, "Do you have any questions for me?" Candidates who do not have questions show a lack of initiative and give the impression that they have minimal interest in the position. Stand out from those lazy job seekers by asking questions!
    Have your questions ready in advance. Relate them to the company or its accomplishments/challenges (your research of the company will show and further impress the interviewer). Don't ask any question that shows that you have not done your research about the company.
    Do not ask questions related to you, such as "When will I be eligible for my first raise?" or "How often will I be subjected to a performance review?" Don't bring up money. (You can do that after you are offered the job.)
    In addition to specific questions you develop based on what the company does, here are some sample generic questions:
    What do you enjoy most about working here?
    Be sure the person you ask actually works for the company. Some organizations, especially public agencies, have interview panels in which employees from other agencies participate.
    Is there anything I've mentioned that makes you think I'm not the best candidate for this job?
    If they do mention something that's bothering them about you, such as lack of specific experience, this gives you a last-ditch effort to change their opinion about you. If you've thought about your possible weaknesses in advance, you should have a prepared answer to those weaknesses. For example, "I know I have limited experience in this field, but what I lack in specific experience I make up for in enthusiasm and desire to excel. I'm a fast learner and I'll work harder than anyone else to be a top producer on your team."
    When do you expect to make your final decision?
    Be sure to ask that! Failure to do so may give the impression that you're not that interested, and you need to know when to follow up.
    Answers to behavioral interview questions are not right or wrong. They are graded on a scale of strong to weak. You earn a strong grade by showing in your answer strong evidence that the desired skill is present in you. You earn a weak grade by showing evidence that the desired skill is NOT present in you. cts future performance.
    Do's And Don'ts During The Interview

    Always adopt a professional and business-like manner
    Listen intently
    Use strong positive language
    Ask the relevant questions
    Wear a smile at all times
    Never indicate that you're desperate for a job
    Don't get into discussions about your personal life, and decline any bait to mention secrets of your present employer, the interviewer should respect your trustworthiness and integrity
    Ensure that you don't smell of any strong odours, e.g. alcohol, garlic or even perfume
    Don't fidget or play with your hair, clothing, items in your pockets etc
    Avoid negative phrases such as: 'I don't know'. I'm not sure'
    Be persuasive, speak in terms of what benefit you can bring to the company, rather

    than the other way around

    Questions To Avoid Asking Employers
    What will my salary be?
    How much vacation do I get?
    Can you tell me about company benefits?
    How long before I can be promoted?
    When am I eligible for vacation?
    Did the last person quit or were they fired?
    Questions to ask after the interview
    What do you enjoy most about working for this company?
    What do people seem to like most/least about working here?
    How does the company intend to remain competitive?
    What are the organization's strengths, and what challenges does it face?
    What qualities are you looking for in your new hires?

2 comments:

  1. thanks for this info sir ronelM i know some of the new graduates out there are seeking some info like this..we are really appreciate it and by the way you can check out are site too because we help also some of those new graduates because we have a good source of Legal Resume that it's top-notch professional resume writers have helped thousands of students and newly graduates too. :)

    thanks

  1. whitepaige says:
    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Leave a Reply

Feel Free To Comment Me

My Music